Monday, January 28, 2008

Temptation

Ahh yes, that word temptation. Yesterday, while at work, I was sitting in the office and something caught my eye. I went outside to look and lo and behold, it was a little beagle puppy. Talk about pulling at some heartstrings. I immediately crouched down and opened my arms. She came right to me. She was thin, shivering, and quite hungry. I gave her some water and food which she ate in zero seconds flat. My heart ached for her. I put her in a kennel with a blanket while waiting for a client to show up who was running late

I found this whole scenario quite ironic since the day before a neighbor from down the road called asking if were missing a beagle puppy. I told her no and maybe the dog belonged to someone up the road. In one sense, I was a little angry that this neighbor happened to somehow have left this puppy on our property. I'm not exactly sure how they puppy got in as our gate isn't working unless they dropped her over the fence of something. I could be completely wrong and she "found" her way here too.

Nonetheless, I couldn't stay angry long after seeing this cute face. I'm not even a beagle fan though I have come across those who are near and dear to my heart. I have to admit, I was tempted to take her home. Whenever things like this happen, immediately, I go into some type of "plan" mode, figuring out how to make everything work with my schedule, my dogs, etc. It just seems to be how my brain runs even if the event doesn't happen.

I told my boss about the puppy, and she called the neighbor who also lives on the property to see if she would take it to the humane society. She obliged and took the puppy there. Overall, I know it was really for the best. I know in reality, I do not need another dog (though this would have only been a foster case anyway). There would have been more management to do as well. But if I'm truly honest with myself, I guess I saw it as a sign in a way. I'm not sure how to explain it exactly, but my mind has lately been drifting off to some dark places. I know it'll pass, but they were just there you know?

No comments: