Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving success

I must admit Thanksgiving went really well. I never know how these types of things events will turn out when there are many unknowns. I try to stay optimistic, but you just never know whether you are going to hit it off with the rest of the crowd.

Luckily, the rest of the crowd--there were a total of 10 of us, wound up to be pretty cool people. It was interesting, because the ages ranged from late twenties to almost sixty years, yet, we all got along well. Dinner, itself, was good, and the hostess, my realtor, said the "eggrolls were a nice added touch" I didn't think they were my best ones, but they seemed to be a hit, especially with the one vegan guest. I even sealed them with cornstarch and water than egg like I usually use.

The other interesting observation was that no one got seconds! Actually, I wanted seconds but felt too awkward to if no one else was. I was also the only one to eat dessert! I guess everyone else was filled up with alcohol, not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not my thing.

Most of the evening, we all chatted about a variety of things. There were many "minds in the gutter" moments with jokes, sexual innuendos, and other wild thoughts. There was only one sort of bizarre moment when one guest decided to confess a secret. That led to an awkward hint of silence from the rest of us. It was strange that he shared this with people whom he did not know well, but at the same time, I guess could show he felt we were trustworthy to do so.

I soon left after that since it was starting to get late, and I needed to get back to the dogs. But overall, I'm very pleased with how the event went. Though I love my family, sometimes, these holiday dinners are easier with other people. Maybe it's less expectation or the fact they do not know your history with food and all. It was just a nice change of pace which further helps me to remind myself I can get through these experiences even if I have anxiety and fears beforehand.

No comments: