Then, things became severely worse a day and a half ago. Baxter had a seizure at 2:30 AM. Though this was similar to his first seizure back in mid-September, it was worse from his previous two seizures. His recovery time was about an hour in a half before he finally fell asleep. The rest of the day he seemed okay, but last night around 8:45, he had another episode. He had two additional ones at 11 PM and 1:30 AM. At that time, I gave him rectal valium and called K., my new boss to know where the best emergency clinic was. She came right over and drove me there. I had him stay until a little after 7 AM. He was given a sedative and seemed to be sleeping. Then, around 10 AM, he had another seizure. I called the local vet (new vet) to get into an earlier appt. Luckily, they were great and allowed me to. There, he had two additional seizures with valium given to help sedate him.
During this time, we were both trying to get a hold of Dr. P., the UMN vet who did his surgery. My new vet also talked to a local internist as well to get opinions too. We both decided it was best to take him to another emergency vet place (better and more preferred than the one I went to last night--that one was just closer), so he could be closely monitored. He is currently there, heavily out of it from a loading of phenobarbital.
We eventually did get a hold of Dr. P. who was at first surprised about his seizures but apparently the human neurologist was not as that can happen in people. This is just the first dog they have had in the study to have this. The good thing is that it is likely not a regrowth of the tumor. We think it could be that his medication, zonisamide just isn't enough without the prednisone which we have been tapering (apparently prednisone affects the gene therapy) to be effective. It is likely he will have to have an additional medication. Right now, phenobarbital is the choice. It's not my favorite medication due to its side effects and liver toxicity, but at this point, we need to stop the cycle of the seizures and manage them.
This has taken such a toll on me today. I've cried off and on all day. I'm so tired since I have only gotten one real hour of sleep. My appetite has been heavily lowered though I did eat a small dinner and a snack. I'm stressed too with thinking about the costs financially. Right now, everything is just affecting me ten fold with so much going on. My new boss is luckily so understanding and wants to make sure Baxter is okay. It is relieving to have this and not to worry about having to take time off and such. She's currently out of town today through Friday, so I'm taking care of her dogs.
Overall, Dr. P. and the new vet are optimistic this will work. Seeing 7 seizures within 36 hours is very scary, and you always wonder about their suffering. I'm just glad I had some knowledgeable vets willing to work with me and look at all avenues of treatment. I'll keep everyone posted on his progress.