Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Moves don't always go as planned

Thanks for the congratulations on the house. There is a lot to be done, but it gives me many things to look forward to too. In terms of moving, often times, there is a "Murphy's Law's" type occurrence.

Last week in general was stressful with packing and my father there. He can be helpful of course, but I just didn't get quite as much done as I wanted. It was immensely beneficial that my mom came to help. We did get quite a bit of packing done, essentially making it 1 1/2 days of packing. I really do not advise this as it gets stressful. By the end, we were just throwing stuff into whatever we could find--boxes, bags, etc. It is truly amazing how much one person can accumulate in almost eight years. My dad kept telling the movers I really did not have much, but it turned out a lot more than they thought, though vastly shy of the 287 boxes my father had when they moved.

When the movers came--45 minutes late, I had to put the dogs outside which was stressful, especially on Baxter (I'll give an update on him in the next post). As the movers left, their truck would not start. Apparently, the battery became drained from the lift. Luckily, I had cables, so I jumped them.

At the house, they moved the boxes, and my parents and I started to unpack all the essential items. Again, the dogs had to be outside. Hank, Tovah, and Daphne explored their new yard and ran and ran. One person had to stay out with the dogs, because there was a huge hole from the removal of the hot tub and a 3 ft drop where the pool was. It took a total of 3 hours to unload the truck and about 5 to pack.

The first night went okay, though we soon learned the upstairs can get very warm despite the fairly low temperature in the house. Poor Baxter, he was really hot, so I took him out in the middle of the night which seemed to help.

My dad left the next day, and my mom and I went back to the other place to pick up the last of my items--again, more than we thought. My mom stayed until Monday morning, and then left to go back home. I started the new job that day, going over things that needed to be done, paperwork, etc. I've quickly learned there are some nice things about being "salaried" such as having a more flexible schedule. Since my new boss follows more of an academic model, she doesn't care where I am, ie home or the office right now, just as long as my work done. This is great as I'm transitioning into a new job, house, etc.

The only bad thing is that I'm beginning to feel a little stressed financially, because this move has been so expensive. I think I get paid for this week, but I'm not sure if it has to be held three weeks instead. I'm hoping once the job really gets going, I'll feel more at ease.

Again, thanks for all the support. Though this is a positive, life-changing experience for me, it is also a very difficult time. There are moments I feel overwhelmed with getting unpacking done, finding new doctors,scheduling meals, finding my way around geographically, etc. But at the same time, I've already met some great people here. I really like my new vet, so that is a major plus. The other workers have also been very nice too. In time, I'm sure things will feel more comfortable.

No comments: