Saturday, October 25, 2008

When dental pieces and nips collide...

This is a vent post more than anything, but I guess this is progress since I've been pretty down this week. Basically, I'm in one of my "crap, I can't believe this has happened" modes.

So here's the situation:
The culprit:
: Nestle Nips Peanut Butter Candy, Pearson - 4 Oz /Box, 12 Ea
image: amazon


What I was doing: chewing them
What happened: my freaking bridge on my right side of my mouth fell out completely!
The result: one bridge and a large gaping hole in my mouth.

It's been awhile since I've had a tooth post, so I guess I was due for one. I am astonished by this since I have not had any tooth problems or major dental work done since January. My most recent killer toothache and saga was last November. By and all, this is of course progress! I guess I just felt I was out of the woods. Since the tooth extractions have been done and my purging has ceased, infections have dropped to zero. Score one for me!

But then this darn bridge. I know I'm going to need a new one probably sooner rather than later. It's just one of those lasting reminder of how bulimia wrecked my teeth. Oh yeah and plus all the holes in my mouth. I seriously thought I was on the denture route there for awhile. Not that that is funny, because of course it is not, and I'm thankful for the teeth that have been saved. Moment of silence please.

The thing I do find funny in all this is the culprit! Those Nips. I don't eat them often, but I like to indulge in them when I do. And well, this is not the first time I've had some tooth part fall out because of them. At least this time, the dental part is in one piece. I can't tell you how many fillings, crowns and bridges I've chipped, broken, and swallowed. Yeah, it's not wise to try to eat sushi with a temporary/loose crown. That one I was not fetching! I actually heard of someone doing that. Ewww!

So besides nips, the other food products that have made my teeth break or dental parts loosen are crackers, ice, frozen gummy bears, and other hard candy. These folks are just not wise to eat with dental porcelain or metal in your mouth, so be forewarned, especially if your teeth are already weakened.

So my game plan will be to call my dentist tomorrow, leave her a message and see when I can get in next week. In the mean time, I'll have to try to only eat on my left side of my mouth, smile less and not talk a lot (neither have been an issue this week). Otherwise, all my holes can be fully seen.
And I'd rather not be known as the "toothless young woman" working with dogs.

4 comments:

KC said...

aw, that sucks. :( I haven't had Nips since treatment!

Tiptoe said...

I'm really hoping the dentist says she can just put it back in and that I don't need a new one yet. So much $$

dental rotors said...

Thanks for useful information you have shared. Visit here to buy dental handpiece parts

Chet Landrum said...

you have to make sure that you are not consuming too much of the hard candy