Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Events of the next month

I haven't given much of an update about what's coming up in the next month or so. It's actually a fairly busy time both personally and work wise, and there will be a lot to get done.

* My therapy appt. is next Monday. I'm already nervous about seeing Therapist C. after such a long time. Plus, I hate to admit it, but I worry about being "fat." :sigh:

* In 2 1/2 weeks, I'll be running my second marathon in New York. I'm excited but have anxiety over not performing well. My goal is to lower my time from my last marathon in May and to perhaps remember the race better. I hear at this marathon, there is actually champagne at the end of the race. Too bad, I don't drink.

* In 2 weeks, I'll be visiting my parents. This always causes me anxiety, especially because I am so afraid they are going to set up some kind of intervention thing. I would not put it past my father. After all, I've heard he's even written e-mails to Dr. Phil about me. And no, it has nothing to do with any eating disorder.

* In 2 1/2 weeks, I'll also be getting my hair cut. Some of you may remember me posting about my hair and identity issues. It won't be drastic but a lot shorter for me. I'm hoping it will give my hair some more "bounce" and trim all those pesky split ends.

* In mid-October, I'll be attending a large dog conference. I'll be part of the "staff" there which is a lot of work but rewarding. I've been to this conference 4 other times, but it still intimidates the heck out of me. Plus, I never do well with food while I'm there. My goal is to try to challenge myself to eat more while there.

These are all big events for me, so I'm going to have to figure out a way to cope with all the stimulation and not get stressed out to the point of standstill. Hopefully, I'll have a place to relax, breathe, visualize, and cry if need be.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Tiptoe,

Sounds like a very busy month, full of some potentially great moments and memories. I wish you luck on all fronts - especially with therapy and the marathon (since I have had some experience with each of these). With therapy, it's not so much about luck, obviously, but I hope that you can click with this person in a new way, even though you have a certain level of comfort there.
On the parental front - WOW. I have to admit that my partner acts as a significant buffer for me when I am with my family. But for many years, visits to my parents (or for them to visit me) were always fraught with some tension. Do you have "safe" people whom you know that you will see during this visit?
Do take care,
Kristina

Lisa said...

I have no idea what a dog conference entails, but it sounds AWESOME.

And good luck with the parent visit. I second Kristina. Buddy system and all.

Tiptoe said...

Kristina, thanks for the good luck wishes. I fee like it's once of those moments where a deep sigh is needed, and then you just go for it.

As for "buffers," I think my mom tries to be, but she's not always successful. My father and I haven't had any screaming matches on our last few visits, but there are moments of deafening silence. I'm not sure which is better. I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Lisa, the dog conference is a great event. It's mostly about education, bringing top notch speakers in the animal world in one forum, and networking. The conference is usually 1,000+ people which can be daunting.

One thing I have to admit about the conference is that I absolutely love the exhibit hall! I always manage to spend way too much money there. The good thing this time around is I can drive to the conference, so I can get a lot of stuff and don't have to worry about a weight limit on baggage. A few years ago, you should have seen me trying to fit everything in and literally making the 80 pound weight limit.

Anonymous said...

What a month! It sounds both challenging and fun--a dog conference sounds like good times. Dogs are the coolest little guys on the planet. =)
Your parents sound like mine--mine were always throwing little "interventions" when I was at my highest weight, and now that I'm "normal" they think I'm too thin. There's no way to win. Heh.
But I hope that your big events all go well. I'll send good thoughts your way. =)

Tiptoe said...

Ghbat, thanks for the good thoughts. The dog conference will be fun and educational. No dogs will be there other than service dogs, so at least we all get a little "doggytocin"