Wednesday, April 30, 2008

3 days until race day

Am I tingling with excitement or my heart beating faster? No, not quite, but I am nervous that race day is so close. I was going to go for a short run this morning, but I couldn't seem to get myself out of bed and wound up sleeping the extra hour. I'll run some time later today along with the five gazillion things I have to do--mostly cleaning and getting my place ready for people to visit. I was able to prepare all the dogs' food for the dog sitter last night. That took a whopping two hours to do.

So the agenda goes: my dad is coming in on Thursday, my mom and her husband on Friday. Then we all go up to Cincinnati to the Expo, get settled in the hotel, etc. Sunday is race day at a very bright and early 6:30 AM start time. I don't know the exact number, but the marathon itself has around 5,300-5,400 runners. The half marathon is double that number. Then all the other activities during the weekend total it out to 22,000 participants. That's a lot of water, gatorade, and goody bags! After the race, my parents and I are going to St. Louis for a few days.

There's a lot of mixed feelings I have about my parents visiting. 5-7 days is about my maximum that I can spend time with them at one time. After that, I begin wanting to pull my hair out. I don't have time to go into details right now but I'll just say, it can be a rocky situation at times.

Anyway, I've been trying to find a new running top to wear with my running shorts. I'm having a hard time finding one I like. I have a shirt that goes okay with the shorts just not perfectly. Whether I find one between now and Friday is up in the air. However, I did find these:

It may not seem like much, but when you have really long, thick hair, it's hard to find good hair bands. Every other hair band I've had, after about two uses, they stretch and no longer keep my ponytail tight. This cause a lot of problems when you're running long distances. You know the picturesque commercials they show of women running with their hair blowing in the wind, well, I'm hear to tell you that that causes some major ass tangles! Much easier to keep all those strands together.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with the parents. sometimes when the situation is already annoying if someone just coughs you want to fly off the handle at them.

do those hair ties work? i have really long thick hair and have the exact same problem with hairties...and i always have to use 2 or three...

good luck on the race!

Tiptoe said...

Anon, thanks for the well wishes with both the race and my parents. It should be interesting.

So far the hair bands have held my ponytail in place and been tight but not too tight. I still need to wear two of them, but they seem to be working well on my runs. I'll let you know how they do holding up to the marathon.