Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Anti-anorexia charter for French fashion industry

France is also in the news with the recent signing of the fashion industry's "Charter on voluntary engagment over the body image and against anorexia" The idea is to promote healthy body image among models. This charter has guidelines but does not give a minimum BMI.

I think overall this is just a good thing in terms of working models for their own safety. However, it is questionable still that even with some of these new guidelines by a variety of countries whether models are still too skinny. I remember reading awhile back in an article that quoted Nina Garcia, fashion editor of Elle magazine, that the models this year were skinnier than the year before. As with anything, change takes time.

2 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

I think this is a great message. Models should model health. Not unattainable, unhealthy ideals.

Tiptoe said...

Deb, I couldn't agree more with you. I truly hope this will help.