Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Designer dogs

So have you ever heard of a Cavachon? Or Chiweenie? Or what about a Labmaraner? Yep, these are all designer dogs. The Cavachon is a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel x Bischon Frise. The Chiweenie is a Chihuaha x Dachshuund. The Labmaraner is a Labrador Retriever x Weimeraner.

When I was at the bookstore yesterday, I ran across a book about designer dogs. In it, it listed all the different designer dog,s and oh my, there were a lot.
Most of us are familiar with the influx of "poodle" crosses. There is the Labradoodle, the Goldendoodle, the Schnoodle, the Maltipoo, Cockapoo, etc. Recently, Puggles have become quite popular. Many of the dogs listed in this book, I've never even heard of.

I think the thing that gets to me most about designer dogs is that they are just crossbreeds or hybrids which people are willing to pay quite a lot of money for. As with anything, there is no guarantee the dog is going to have the best traits of each breed.

If anyone wants to take a look at the enormous list of designer dogs, it can be seen at ACHC

No comments: