Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Newly licensed

It is official. I am now a licensed bartender, good for all fifty states! Pretty cool, eh? I like to call myself a professional mixologist. It has a nice ring to it.

Yesterday, I took my written final--aced it. Then, I took the nerve-racking speed round test. I was practically shaking when I had to pick up more than one glass at a time and place the drink on the coaster. However, I persevered, making 13 correct drinks (missed one drink because I used the wrong bottle). You needed 12 correct drinks in 8 minutes.

Today, we had pictures for our resumes and went over how the job placement works. One thing that is different compared to many jobs which I've been applying for is, there is less filling out applications online. This means no more hiding behind the computer screen. With bartending, it is actually okay to go to that establishment and try to get a job. In some ways, this can be highly beneficial since they will actually see you in person. Then, you get a chance to shine in a way you may not be able to online. Now, I just have to get past my nerves. Going in person is way scarier to me for this type of job, something that is completely new and different. The nice thing is that the school helps you with finding jobs and such. Plus, I have to say I have a bit of an in with the director since I've been giving him some tips on newly integrating their baby (literally only a week old) and their chihuaha.

So, here's to a new chapter in my life. Dog training or any other job that may be suitable is certainly not out of the question, it's just may not be on a full time basis. I'll post how things progress. I do think if I find the right establishment, it could be a very interesting gig.

p.s.--the guy with the record number of drinks made in the speed round test is 38! He was able to hold 3 bottles in one hand. He got a job the day after he graduated from someone having seen him do this.

4 comments:

Cammy said...

Congrats on getting licensed, crossing my fingers for you on the job hunt!

I Hate to Weight said...

Congratulations and Good luck!

May you find a great job.

Good for you for doing this

Angela said...

i just want to say congratulations, and good for you!!! How awesome. I've always thought it would be so fun to be a bartender. Good luck with your job search:)

Katie said...

Congratulations! That sounds like a scary practical, I can imagine going to pieces and forgetting everything. Go you for passing it all!