Friday, May 23, 2008

Ice chewing

The image “http://www.adl2.com/images/ice_cube.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
image: adl2

You know, sometimes magazines publish really dumb stuff. Today, I skimmed through a Health magazine. I'm not a religious reader of it but do find there are usually some interesting articles or facts. Though the magazine always has weight loss tips and such, that's not the reason why I read it. Anyway, I was a bit appalled however, that they featured a short article about ice chewing as a way to burn more calories. The article then mentions, however, that your teeth could be damaged. This is definitely a true statement. Then it emphasized how there were now chewable ice pellets that are supposed to be more gentle on your teeth.

Hmmm, and this is all a good thing? I can just imagine someone reading that article and thinking how this could be helpful with weight loss Actually, come to think of it, I did know someone who did this in high school.

Me, personally, I've never been one to chew ice for weight loss. I have, however, been an ice chewer for a long time. It's not as bad as it once was, but periods were definitely higher when I was anemic. I can also vouch that it damages your teeth. I remember one dentist saying my tooth had a hole the size of a crater. Ok, a little exaggeration there, but it was quite large.

If any of you do have ice chewing problems, I hope you get yourself checked medically. Pica comes to mind. .





No comments: