Monday, May 19, 2008

Bizarre encounter this morning

I woke up about 7 AM this morning and did my usual things. However, after about an hour in a half, I decided I was a little tired and wound up going back to bed. I'm not sure if it was that I couldn't get myself up to go for a run this morning, so sleeping seemed like a better alternative or what. I set my alarm to get up at 10 AM, but was disturbed by a knock at my door. I thought it might be the UPS person. She sometimes knocks and then leaves the package by my door.

Well, it wasn't the UPS lady. It was two old men who were Jehovah's Witnesses and wanted to talk to me. This is not the first time these people have stopped by wanting to distribute their materials. The last time, it was an African-American couple who politely left when I told them I was not interested. They came by another time when I wasn't here and left their propaganda on my door. This man was a little more insistent in talking. I just stood there and nodded my head. I had already told him I was not interested, and he continued to talk anyway. He gave me two of his pamphlets and asked me my name. It was kind of funny, because I had to think for a moment that I was not about t ogive out my real name. So I just said "Lisa." Actually, come to think of it, I should have said something like "Lemonjello," and yes, that is a real name. There is a very funny story that goes along with that name.

I just don't get it. I don't see them stop at my neighbor's houses. Maybe they come at a different time or something. Do I have some kind of sign on my door that says, "here is some non-religious person, so you should come by to see if you can convert her." Maybe I have issues with them, just due to the fact that when I was younger, my mother was not too keen of them either. Whenever they knocked on the door, she'd make up some random excuse that they could not come in, because I was sick. And then before you know it, I'd jump out and appear. I don' think she was too happy when I did that.

I think, in general, however, I am not into anyone pushing any kind of religion on me period. This is a funny story. Once in college, some random guy walked up to me and asked about my hand since it is not normal looking. I politely told him the story of how it was a congenital birth defect and that I have had surgeries on it. Then he promptly told me to come to this place for a religious meeting, and that God would save me and help my hand and all. Yeah, I thought that was really bizarre.

I'm hoping for no other bizarre things today. I need to go get ready for my dental appointment. I never look forward to these things, and hopefully, the hygeniest won't yell at me for not flossing well.

No comments: