Saturday, March 8, 2008

Daylight Saving Time a Bust?

Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday morning
image: ky3.com

Tomorrow marks going onto Daylight Saving Time. Many people do not enjoy this. My mom is one of them. She always expresses with dread how much she hates this time of year. I'm not a huge fan of it either but only because waking up in darkness isn't some thrill for me or losing my precious one hour of sleep. I don't get enough of sleep anyway, so to lose an hour means a lot to me. I do like that there is an extra hour of light at the end of the day. That way, I can actually take runs after work if I want to and don't have to worry about some dog appearing in the darkness, like in the mornings.

The history of Daylight Saving Time is interesting. Over the years, it's been wrought with controversy. Everything from it saves energy to it wastes energy. It helps with health, it doesn't. It reduces the number of automobile fatalities to there is no difference. And the list goes on and on. Wikipedia gives a nice run down of the pros and cons to Daylight Saving Time.

So for now, I'll spring my clock an hour ahead and adjust to the changes as normal. I do wonder if for one year, we kept the clocks the same throughout the entire year what differences if any that would make.


2 comments:

kristin said...

Hey, I found your blog very interesting. I came upon it when looking up info. on daylight savings time. You seem like a really interesting person and you remind me a bit like myself. I couldn't gather your age or where you live though (somewhere cold). You must not give your blog to family since it reads more like a diary. I will surely keep reading.

Tiptoe said...

Kristin,
Thanks for commenting. You are right that I've kept this a blog personal and fairly anonymous, though I will be telling you my age in a new entry soon.

I'll definitely check out your blog as well and eventually when I do a blogroll, I'll add you.