Sunday, November 18, 2007

Week in Review

I've actually had a lot on my mind that I wanted to blog about and then just didn't get around to it. I had yesterday off of work and have today off, so I'm finally sitting down and writing about it.

First off, I talked to my good friend last week. This was the one whom I'd been playing phone tag with. It was nice to catch up on stuff. She asked me if I could take care of two of her dogs who were supposed to stay with her ex-husband over Thanksgiving. They share custody of the dogs. Apparently, he had arrangements which fell through, so I was the only one she thought of to take care of them. I agreed and called her ex to let her know. Not sure why he couldn't call me himself. Supposedly it was something to do with I was his ex wife's friend. Okay, whatever. It's not a big problem, and I do get paid for it. I know these dogs but I've never taken care of them before. They are older. One has some incontinence issues, and the other barks. I pick them up tomorrow, so it should be an interesting week.

I think I mentioned that I bought a ticket for an event and was hoping not to back out of going. Well, I can report back saying that I DID NOT back out. Yeah for me! This was to the Postsecret vs. Found event. I really had to convince myself to just go. It wasn't that I didn't want to go but rather that whole sociability factor. I had asked some of my friends to go, but none of them could. I knew if at least one of them went, it would have been harder for me to back out of it. I guess you could say I fought those negative voices and went. It was a good event, for a good cause, and I enjoyed it. It was very cool to meet Frank and see him in person. Some of the postcards he shared, I remembered from the website. The Found people from "Found" magazine were very entertaining too. This was the first time I'd been aware of what "found" was about. It's basically things that people send in that they've found from various places. These are things like photos, letters, receipts, to do lists, etc. There's something cool about getting a glimpse into someone else's life for a moment. Ialso found out that one of the contributors to NPR's "This American Life" is one of the "Found" founders.

The rest of the week was uneventful other than a dog that went home from her board and train. I was really worried this dog would lose it when she got home. Plus, I was afraid I didn't do a good enough job of explaining to the owner what she learned. I later realized I had forgotten to show the owner some hand signals. I was both surprised and happy when the owner called the next day saying that the dog was doing well and doing the things asked of her. Whew, a definite relief. I told my boss about this since she asked about it, and she asked me why I felt nervous. I think she may have gotten confused but oh well. It's one of those things where you really want everything to work out. Even when you know you did your best, you still kind of feel like you have failed if it doesn't work out. I think I also am a bit weary about Board and trains after one that happened a year or so ago. I won't go into details but the situation should have been handled differently. In the end, it left everyone upset.

I also had some sad news about a potential service dog in training. He bit the owner's husband severely. I only know details from second hand, but it is just such a shame. I never saw any signs o threat from this dog at all. This dog had loads of potential. Some people don't quite understand why you can't give a second chance or train it out, etc. It's a difficult situation, but trying to elicit that type of behavior, you're putting yourself in danger. Plus, being an SD, SDIT, dogs are trained to withstand out of the normal type behaviors, stressful situations, etc. I'm not sure what will happen to this dog, and it is likely he could not be adopted with having this bite record.

Other news. I'm still waiting on lab tests done about three weeks ago. I hate when they take this long, but that's what happens when the labs have to be sent out. I'm not worried about it since these are just standard labs I have done every year. I just like knowing the results.

I took a little time off of running to see if it would make any difference with pain I'd been having. Unfortunately, it did not. I'm going to try the capazain patch first before deciding to head back to the physiatrist I saw last year. I doubt there is much she can do anyway. It's not hampering my daily life, it just gets really sore bending down, walking, exercising, and stretching. That doesn't leave much but sleeping.

So overall, this week had some positives and negatives. I try to remind myself of the positives no matter how small they are. To end this post, here's a pretty picture of a sunset from yesterday. It's a little dark but you get the idea.











No comments: