Saturday, November 3, 2007

Marathon news and "Wannabe ultramarathoner"

Normally, I do not follow marathon news or anything of the sort even though I do run. Apparently, the NYC Marathon was bittersweet. From the NYRR website, Ryan Shay, a hopeful young runner for the Olympics, collapsed and died. It was known that he had enlarged heart but was given clearance to run by medical doctors. It's quite sad, and my condolences go out to his family.

On the brighter side of things, the British female runner, Paula Radcliffe, won after a birth of a child this year, injuries, and a two year absence from the sport. It really reminds you that even after pregnancy, you can be top notch with good training and keeping yourself healthy.

So with reading all about the NYC marathon, I'm wondering why I am even interested. I think in the back of my mind I'm a "wannebe marathoner" or better yet "ultramarathoner." After reading Dean Karnaze's book, Ultramarathon Man: confessions of an all night runner, it peaked my interest in the ability to defy your body's odds and tests its limits. I learned a bit of the inside scoop from JW, another ultramarathoner. Since then, it's kind of goal of mine one day to be able to do one. So what stops me from pursuing his goal?

Firstly, well, in order to run anything like that, you must eat. You have to be able to sustain your body for that amount of energy. Studies show the majority of people do not fuel enough before runs or other endurance activities. I'm in that category unfortunately, although I do eat more in general most days than let's say five years ago.

Secondly, commitment. Do I have what it takes to do that? My therapist tells me I'm afraid of commitment which affects my life daily. Is it commitment or determination? People have always told me I am determined, but since high school, that determination has just dwindled into fears that seem to plague me. How do I tell myself or better yet convince myself that I could really do this?


Thirdly, there is the issue of competitiveness. It's not even about coming in first but rather having a stunning time on the first go around. I think that comes from feeling like I work hard (and I do have a good work ethic) and feeling like it never pays off. Well, I would have to precede that with "at least to my standards."

So for now, it's all up in the air. Maybe it'll be my New Year's Resolution?



No comments: