Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The week in review

For some reason, I feel like I've been MIA on here and in general online, well except, for facebook. :-P Actually since my last post, I've been a bit busy. Friday, I went to a day long dog seminar a few hours from here. It was about scent work and getting reliable behaviors. I've known the speaker for a few years now. It was really sweet, because when he saw me, he gave me a big hug! This seminar had both working and observer spots, and I had thought about bringing Tovah. However, my self doubts got in the way, and I thought she wouldn't be ready. She was actually right in the mix--some more experienced, others not. Oh well. I told the speaker I'd film myself and send it to him. I now have some stage fright though. :-/

The next day, I had an early morning run with the running group. We met with a few larger groups that day and had a kind of brunch afterwards. I was surprised to hear that some of my running buddies said their goal was to keep up with me. I am not that fast of a runner at all, and one girl had qualified for Boston a few years earlier. The run went well, but I made a few wrong turns and wound up running an extra 0.5 mile.

My mom and her husband were also here this weekend. They both enjoyed their time here and realized this was the first time in years that they fully got to spend time with me. Before, I was always working, so it was a nice change of pace.

The big things were shopping and setting up my Wii. My mother now has a new favorite consignment shop and shoe store. She had told me that we must visit these two stores whenever she visits. LOL

My mom's husband and I played Wii Bowling which was fun. I won one game, he won the other. I also tried my hand at the sword fighting game, the frisbee game, and the table tennis one. Sword fighting made me incredibly sore for the last two days, seriously! Frisbee, I am absolutely terrible at. It is obvious I could never have a frisbee catching dog, because I cannot throw frisbees. Table tennis, I wasn't too bad at. The archery one should be interesting.

Now, the other big adventure was that the dogs alerted me to something underneath the deck on Saturday night. Well, it looked to be a raccoon. They shooed it away to the shed at one point, then yesterday, it was found in the metal dog house. I was sort of amazed, because I had let Tovah out a few times and she did not bother it, thought she knew it was there. Hank, on the other hand, barked at it.


This raccoon appeared to be about 7 years old.
The raccoon was not too happy to be in there.










The trapper guy came yesterday to remove it. It looked like it was nesting. However, today, he said it might have had a disease as some of her organs/wounds looked to be rotting. She had an open wound on her neck from something. The trapper also said it looked liked she may have been shot. It was likely that she would have only lived a week anyway. So though I felt badly for her, I am glad it is gone for the dogs' sake. Raccoons can be vicious, and if they are sick, just their saliva alone can infect the other animal.

My mom and her husband are now gone, but my dad may be coming this weekend now. So no real down time if he decides to come. I'm waiting to hear about the temp job. I do not mind being flexible but I want to know for sure if I am doing this job or not. The hiring manager said not everyone would get the job. This would be a bit of a shame as I now have a lot of black professional looking clothes--most gotten at consignment shops.

So that's what I've been up to for the last week. Hope everyone else's week is off to a good start.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Black professional clothes will last forever. It's all good. I want to be your FB friend!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000407560182&sk=info

KC said...

Just checking in to say hi...I miss reading!