Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Century Project

Going along with the previous entry about body image, here is another book that celebrates women of all ages and their bodies. This is called the "Century Project."

Bodies and Souls: The Century Project image: amazon.com

The photographer is Frank Cordelle. In this collection of photos, it shows women from the age 0 to 100. Each has a personal statement--some saying why they chose to be included in the project, what it meant to them, or just prose or poetry for how they may be feeling, etc. The reasons vary but each has their own purpose.

I actually saw this exhibit a number of years ago when I was in college. It was a very moving, thought provoking experience. At that time, I felt a bit more optimistic about my body image and felt inspired. It was one of my goals to actually do a project like this.

It's weird when I think about all this, because there was a time in my life when I did celebrate my body--the beauty, athleticism, musculature. I remember telling my father that I wanted someone to sculpt a nude bronze figure of me. Now, I can barely fathom that thought. I'm not sure what happened between then and now, but yet, I'm still discovering to find that piece of me again.

No comments: