Saturday, May 2, 2009

A mere "sign" or coincidence?

First off, thanks to all of you who commented or just held thoughts and/or prayers about these little birds. I truly appreciate how so many of you cared.

In the comments, Carrie and Sarah-J said that if the birds could that they would thank me for my caring actions. So here's my little story for today.

I was at work and doing my usual chores outside. It rained last night, so the paddocks were very wet and muddy. I'm walking along the paddock and suddenly see this on the ground:


I was astounded, thinking how remarkable this was. I've always said that when animals who are rescued pass away, they leave this earth knowing that someone kind took them in, loved them, and are forever grateful for that. Sometimes, it is beautiful to see a "sign" just to know. I know this could be a mere "coincidence," but I sure like to think this was from the baby birds, saying "thank you." Even the color of the feather would have been about right (I'm thinking these birds might have been blue jays) if the birds had matured.

The last few days have been a whirlwind, and quite frankly, I'm kind of exhausted with emotion. It was well worth the experience, and I'm sure won't be my last. But, this first one on my own as an adult will always have a special place in my heart.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, that's pretty amazing. You really did do everything possible. I'm sure the birds are so grateful. I don't know why just reading about this is SO emotional for me. I just hate seeing suffering (for the birds, or for you now). Hope you're feeling ok!

Lisa said...

What you did was incredible. I really admire your effort and kindness.

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

I am late getting to this, but I love your passion for animals. Like Kim, this all makes me emotional. I think there are aspects of nurturing animals and babies that reminds us of how we ourselves were or weren't nurtured. Sometimes when I am just sitting with the baby I nanny for, holding her close and singing to her, I feel overflowing with love and I cry because I knew my mom loved me that much but I never felt it and never knew it until I was 20 something. I fiercely whisper to the little girl, "you are loved! I pray you know that!"

That's what you showed those baby birds. I hope you feel some healing in that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lisa, you did everything you could and far, far more. I'm sorry that they couldn't be saved, but no doubt you eased the pain that they would have suffered had you not been so incredibly dedicated. Take care of yourself TipToe.

Lola x

K said...

I totally think it's a sign and not a coincidence. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's coincidence at all. I agree that rescued animals leave this earth feeling more loved and comforted by the fact that a kind soul took them in and made their lives just a little (or a lot) better. How wonderful that you were - and are - that person. :)

ola said...

The whole bird babies story is magic. Your passionate care, the message for everyone and the birds message in form of feather for you.

Tiptoe said...

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I am doing better, but it's still a really emotional thing for me.

I really do think this was a "sign." This weekend, in general, I've had so many signs. It may sound sappy, but I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

Sarah, I think you're right that there is something about how you were or were not nurtured. I don't really know for sure in my very early life how I was nurtured other from reports I have read. So perhaps, this is why I have a strong instinct for nurturance in all forms of life.

Ola, it does seem/feel like a magical story.