Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day



Today marks a number of holidays There is the traditional Valentine's Day for couples. There is the alternative Singles Awareness Day. And today also marks the Chinese New Year.

With that all said, Valentine's Day has never held a huge meaning for me. Most times, the only Valentine's Day cards I receive are from my parents and occasionally a friend or two. This

doesn't bother me, although I find it incredibly funny that my mom has sent me the SAME Valentine's Day card for three of the last five years. She is not the type to buy multiple cards of the same card, but rather she has simply forgotten that she has sent me this card. In it, she always writes that this cards says everything she feels. Maybe that's why she sends it to me? In 2005, my dad actually sent me that card too. I guess this is one helluva a card!

In general, Valentine's Day has gotten a bad rap due to all the commercialization. I can understand this. I mean why celebrate your love for someone once a year with glitz of cards, chocolates, and flowers. Shouldn't it be unrequited all year long? But at the same time, I can understand it too. Heck yeah, if I was in a relationship, I'd want a rose or a cute teddy bear or something. A friend of mine's husband gave her a stuffed pink poodle (they have standard poodles so it makes sense)

I guess this is one reason why Singles Awareness Day came about. Some feel like the holiday is just in their faces. Actually, this year, since Valentine's Day has fallen on a Sunday, it seems more conspicuous than usual. Though it doesn't help those in the business of Valentine's Day, I think it's been helpful for those who may compare themselves to their co-workers or friends.


As for me, it's sort of interesting. Normally, I'd just be sitting home, like any other usual day. But today, I decided to go meet a new match guy for coffee. So, my thinking goes like this: Valentine's Day is going to either 1) leave a happy memory of connecting with someone whom maybe I click with or 2) leave an awful, confused memory of wondering what the hell was I thinking. Either way, I bet this "date" will be memorable by being great, terribly bad, or memorable by not being memorable.

Note:--*And I should add that bad body image comes at the worst times sometimes!

6 comments:

Cammy said...

HAPPY VALENTINE's DAY! I am so lucky to have you as a friend, and look forward to yet another year of enjoying knowing you!

Tiptoe said...

Thank you, Cammy. It's been a pleasure too, and I hope the same for the next year. I was so glad to hear that you had a good V-Day weekend.

tia said...

how was the new guy?
ive always had mixed feelings around vday...

Kristina said...

Tiptoe,

I think that you have a GREAT attitude! I had moments when I really struggled as a single person. I think people's attitudes towards V-day runs the gamut from total loathing to a complete and utter embrace of the sappiness. I probably fall somewhere in-between, with a tilt to the cynical view.
Hope that the coffee went well.
- Kristina

Tiptoe said...

Tia and Kristina, the date went well. I was pleasantly surprised.

Kristina, so nice to see you. :-) I think a lot of people fall in-between as many are with holidays. Thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to keep the dating thing in perspective and not hold out for too many expectations.

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

I'm so glad you went out to enjoy V-day. What a positive attitude!